Image by Freepik
Overtime, you may find your Mac cluttered with applications that you no longer use or need. Removing these applications not only helps you keep your Mac organized, but also ensures it runs efficiently by freeing up storage space. The following are simple steps on how to uninstall apps on a Mac.
Using the Trash on a Mac
1. Open the "Finder" app. You will find it in the Dock at the bottom of your screen.
2. Click on the "Applications" folder in the sidebar.
3. Locate the app you want to uninstall, then click and drag it to the Trash can in your dock.
4. Empty the Trash to completely remove the app from your Mac. To do this, right-click on the Trash can and select "Empty Trash."
Using the Launchpad on a Mac
1. Open the "Launchpad" icon from your Dock.
2. Navigate to the app you want to delete.
3. Click and hold on the app icon until it starts to jiggle.
4. Click the 'X' that appears in the upper left corner of the icon, then confirm your decision to delete the app.
Uninstalling Apps Downloaded from the Mac App Store
1. Open the Launchpad or use the Finder to navigate to the Applications folder.
2. Press and hold the Option (⌥) key, or click and hold any app until all the apps jiggle.
3. Click the 'X' in the top-left corner of the app you want to delete.
4. Click "Delete" to confirm you want to remove the app.
While the steps above will work for most applications, keep in mind that some apps may have their own uninstaller. These are often found within the app's folder in the Applications directory. If the app you want to uninstall includes an uninstaller, it is generally best to use that.
When you uninstall an app, it doesn't always remove all the associated files. These residual files may include preferences, logs, and caches. To ensure a clean uninstall, consider using specialized software like AppCleaner, which is designed to search for and remove these residual files.
Remember, always double-check before deleting an app. If you accidentally uninstall something, it may be difficult or impossible to recover. If you're not sure, it's always safer to leave it alone and do some research.
That's all there is to it! Uninstalling apps on a Mac is a straightforward process, but these tips should make it even easier. Happy decluttering!
Partner with Chibitek
Instead of grappling with the problem alone, consider partnering with Chibitek.